Monday, July 19, 2010

What makes someone so great?

 So what makes someone so great?  i don't know the answer but I wish I did.  Do you?  If you do you should tell me.  I sure would love to know.
    I just spent my day watching two extremely great movies.  Which lead me to the question of the day.  which will also lead to two different quotes for the quote of the day.  Thanks again Netflix for your heavy enthusiasm to feed my television addiction.
    First I started the day with Chaplin: The Movie, directed by Richard Attenborough.  This movie chronicles the life of Charlie Chaplin.  Based off of the autobiography written by himself. (Duh! Otherwise it wouldn't of been an autobiography) The cast list of this film is so long that you wouldn't believe that many stars could appear in one movie.  Release year '92-'93.  Starring Robert Downey Jr. as Charlie Chaplin.  This showed the perseverance and drive of the comic.  How he came to make films and how he never lost sight of the goals he had.  He never let anyone deter him from what he wanted. What amazed me the most was all the different eras he lived through.  Charlie lived well into his late 80's.  I recommend this movie to anyone.  If you weren't a Charlie Chaplin fan before the movie you will be when it's over.  5 out of 5 stars for me.


  The second movie that fulfilled the rest of my day today was When You're Strange, directed by Tom DiCillo.  Released in April of 2010.  This documentary about The Doors was intriguing.  Rare footage of The Doors clipped together to make a rockumentary.  It reminded me of that show that I used to watch when I was a kid on VH1. Oh yeah, Behind the Music.  It was like that but way better.  This was real footage.  Some never before seen.  I felt like I was looking into the soul of the band and the influential era of the late 60's and early 70's.  It made me wish to be there just to be able to experience the height of rebellion.  Everyone doing their own thing.  One band having such a major influence over a nation and the world.  There were so many bands from this era that had this control.  You'll never find a group of bands like it today.  It is worth checking out.  5 out 5 for me.

With a day like today how do you find greatness? Look into your TV.  These men were born to do something great with their lives.  Even though at times they were destructive to themselves and others around them, they still had influence over their peers.  How did they get it and where did it come from?  Can anyone achieve greatness?  Or is it something that only a few handful of people are born with?
I'll let you decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment